Few things can be more dreadful than finding oneself locked up behind bars for a crime that one did not commit. The shame of being accused and the sense of fear will most definitely engulf one during such time. They say you get to realize who your true friends are during your darkest hours. One requires unconditional support from friends and family when one is in jail, both materially and emotionally. Continue reading this article to find out how you can support them when they need you the most.
The Bail Process: When someone is arrested based on a criminal charge, he is taken to police custody. He is to remain in jail unless one bails the defendant out. If there is no one to bail him out, he must wait inside the prison facility till his trial, which can be days or weeks later. There is no good reason for an undertrial to stay inside the prison just because he does not have the support he needs.
- Depending on the severity of the case, the court orders a bail amount to pay for his release. Once the money is paid, the defendant is free to go home and get back to regular life. He must appear for his trial without a mistake, or else he’ll be taken back to police custody again.
- Now, it often happens that the bail amount seems to be outrageously high. Most bail amounts are predetermined based on the severity of the charges. So, it is unlikely that the judge will hike the bail amount for a particular case without any reason.
- Nevertheless, the bail amount can be high enough to cause worry. People might not have as much money at their disposal to provide at a moment’s notice. For such circumstances, they might contact local city-based bondsmen. In California, there are many bond businesses ready to assist one with bond-related issues.
- Bail bond businesses usually take 8 percent of the total bond amount as their fee and pay the rest by themselves. Defendants in California can rely on friendly 24/7 bail bonds services in Rancho Cucamonga. One may put the property as collateral if he cannot provide the total amount for bail. Once the case gets resolved, the things put down as collateral are handed back to the rightful owner.
Emotional Support: Your loved ones must be in shock and pain after going through such a challenging situation. It is now the responsibility of the friends and family to be there for him. While he is out on bail, the struggle is far from being over. He must prepare himself for a fair trial to prove his innocence. The whole process can take a toll on the mental and physical health of one.
- As a friend, you must make him feel included in things that are regular and normal. Make sure he does not feel ostracized or outcast for the crime he never committed. A lot of people go to jail only because someone wanted to tarnish their reputation.
- People usually face hostility in a social situation once they have been in prison. It is only with the help of a loving family and well-wishers that a person feels he is accepted again.
People need people in times of darkness. Be true to yourself and try to be there when someone needs you the most. The love and kindness you show for others will only return to you.